Saturday, July 11, 2009

Learning How to Sew A Dress

I had an aunt who was a dressmaker. As a teenager she taught me how to stitch my own dress. At that time we had 2 sewing machine at home so it was very easy for me to practice. First she asked me to stitch a cloth on a straight line and at the same time cautioned me to be extra careful not to let my finger near the needle. I bear it in mind to be careful and continued practicing till she was convinced that I can stitched steadily and can control the machine. Second step was how to do the measurement starting from the neck, arms, arm hole (which was from the shoulder and arm pit then back to the shoulder), chest, waist, 1st hip, second hip and lenght from waist to the knee or ankle in case of long skirt. Third step was showing me how to write those measurements into the spread sheet of manila paper, drawn lines and connect each line including one inch allowance extension on edges. Fourth step was to do the same procedure but this time she gave me a cheap cloth that I can start with. Fifth step was to stitch the cloth material. It took me 5 hours to finish the dress since I had to stitch, unstitched and re-stitched especially where I had to stitched the zipper. As I continued my stitching hobbies I was able to stitch my own trouser as well. Because of this experienced I was able to stitched my own dress and able to direct the tailor in the hotel because I know about stitching.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Anusayaw, I wish you the same and my best regards to everybody in Chennai.

    ReplyDelete