Saturday, July 4, 2009

Upholstery Material

Upholstery shop operation was one of my responsibility when I was working in one of the five star hotels in the Gulf Region. I checked and ensure that the upholstery of chairs, sofas or any furnitures in the hotel that needs re-upholstering are done on a regular basis. I basically go out and choose the materials needed, submit to the financial controller for cost appropriation and finally given to the general manager for approval. During those days there was no problem since the business was very good but when recession or economy went bad everything came to a halt. I had more than 300 rooms that needed re-upholstery at that time. One day I went to check how the upholsterer was progressing, then I saw a file of folded cloth that looks new and wondered where he might have gotten the materials from. I opened the folded cloth and saw one side of it badly faded while the other side looked new. It was easy for me to make the decision as the cloth was plain and had no design that needed matching, so I instructed the upholsterer to reverse the upholstery material in all the sofas and chairs room by room. What a big saving it was for the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment